The E + S Bow coupling system has been designed to connect a suction trailer hopper dredge to the floating discharge pipeline by the mooring forces of the ship, benefiting from the fact that E + S hoses are designed to carry tensile strengths on top of the normal hydraulic load such as working pressure, which is far higher than the required mooring forces of hopper dredges.
A more or less straight connection is required to transmit these forces from the ship to the floating hose line. E + S developped a pocket/wedge coupling type with an integrated pressure-activated seal to establish a longitudinal transmission of the mooring forces.
The Main Advantages Of This Coupling System Are:
- A more or less straigth discharge pipeline, which will minimize power-losses, wear and tear of the pipeline itself.
- The floating connector is relatively light so that it will be carried by a normal
E + S floating hose without any additional buoyancy body.
- The two possible types – Integrated System or Package Unit – can both be installed at the bow of a ship without any special reinforcement of the structure, as it would be required if using an A-frame or a similar installation.
- The E + S Bow coupling system can be connected by the mooring forces of the ship.
- The ship can be moored to the floating hose line. No additional mooring line or anchor will be necessary to hold the ship, the hose line is fixed and moored securely.
- The elevation of the bow coupling from the sea level has to be at a min. of only 2 x ID of the pipe diameter.
With the E + S Bow coupling – Integrated System – the discharge line will be installed below the forecastle deck and only a guide roller frame for the hoisting line will be placed on top of the forecastle deck. Alternatively the E + S Bow coupling can be supplied as a complete package system. In this case, the complete package will be installed on top of the forecastle deck. In addition the option exists to install a separate winch on top of the unit frame, or, if another winch is available on board this may be used.